Social media channels
- Snapchat: A social media app that sends a photo or video (called a “snap”) to someone that lasts only up to 10 seconds before it “disappears.” During that time, the recipient can take a screenshot, and the sender is notified that it was taken. Participants can also create “stories” that last for 24 hours and are public to anyone else with the app.
- Instagram: A social media site where people share pictures. This site is more permanent and usually used for more formal, staged photos.
- “Finsta”: Short for fake Instagram. This is where people have two Instagram accounts, one that is “safe” for family and peers, and the other where they share more personal or risque posts with closest friends. The “finsta” is usually a private account.
- Facebook: Social media site where people can share photos, videos, thoughts, articles, memes, etc. Teens are using Facebook less frequently than in the past, since many adults are using the site.
- Twitter: Social media site that allows people to share shorter messages, pictures, and videos with one another. Less popular with teens than it had been in the past.
- Facetime: Making a video call from an iphone
- Eggplant: penis (when used with the peach or taco, can refer to sex)
- Peach: butt (when used with eggplant, can refer to sex)
- Taco: vulva/vagina (when used with eggplant, can refer to sex)
- Water droplets: ejaculation
- Side eye smirky one: this can insinuate sexual activity or other risqué behavior, especially when used in combination with comments or other emojis
- Pointing finger and ok sign: when used together, sex
- Kik: messaging app that uses usernames instead of phone numbers to help maintain privacy.
- Sexting: sending lewd photos, videos or sexual messages to someone
- Revenge porn: sharing sexual photos or videos of someone without their consent
- Whatsapp: messaging app that uses usernames instead of phone numbers to help maintain privacy
- Bait out groups: groups made on social media sites like Instagram or Facebook that are used specifically to harass members into sharing photos of themselves with the intention of using those photos for cyberbullying or revenge porn
- “Dunking”: embarrassing or making fun of someone on twitter by replying to their tweet; a form of cyberbulling
- Subtweet: to mention someone in a tweet without directly tagging them or using their name; a form of cyberbullying
53X = sneaky way to type “sex”
KMS = kill myself
LH6 = let’s have sex
KYS = kill yourself
MOS = mom over the shoulder
POS = parent over shoulder
CD9 = code 9, parents around
GNOC = get naked on camera.
99 = parents are gone
WTTP = want to trade photos?
LMIRL = let’s meet in real life
1174 = meet at a party spot
IWSN = I want sex now
CU46 = see you for sex
FWB = friends with benefits
ADR = what’s your address
MPFB = my personal f*** buddy
PAL= parents are listening
TWD = texting while driving
GYPO = get your pants off