School’s out and summer’s finally here! It’s time to relax, hang out with friends and family, and take advantage of the great weather. Even though you may want to get away from school for a while, the summer can also be a great time to get a jumpstart on your college or other post-high school plans! No matter what grade you’re in, there are a few steps you can take this summer to help get you started.
- Rising 9th &10th Graders
- Think about different careers you might be interested in or topics you’d like to study in college.
- Get experience with a summer job, internship, or by doing community service through programs like the NYC Summer Youth Employment Program, the Student Conservation Association, or other local organizations.
- Rising 11th Graders
- Study for the SAT, ACT, or other standardized tests. Check out Let’s Get Ready for free, 9 week college prep programs or look for other free and low cost options near you.
- Take a tour of local colleges and universities to get a feel for factors that might be important for you when choosing a school.
- Rising 12th Graders
- Participate in BridgeUP’s College Prep Boot Camp to get a head start on your college search and essay! Boot Camp Starts Monday, July 1st and runs through Thursday, July 26th.
- Take a look at other internship and training programs available to you through the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development
Starting your college prep in the summer can help lighten your load during the school year. Even taking just one day out of your schedule a week to focus on college prep can make a huge difference. Give it a shot, and enjoy the summer!