With so many great college options, it can be hard for future college students and their parents to understand what schools to apply to or what would be the best fit. That’s where the college list comes in! A strong college list is more than simply a list of any school that a teen is interested in – it is a list of well researched safety, target, and reach schools that have the programs, resources, and environment your student needs to succeed.
- Safety schools are ones where your student’s grades and test scores are significantly stronger than the middle 50% of students admitted.
- Target schools are ones where your student’s grades and test scores are similar to the middle 50%.
- Reach schools are ones where your student’s grades and test scores are not as strong as the middle 50%.
While making the list, there is more than just the academic profile of the school to consider. You’ll want to think about things like
- Fit: Does the school have the right academic programs for you – for example, a school that specializes in engineering might not be the right fit for a creative writing major. Are certain extra curriculars, like Tae Kwon Do important to you? Check with the school to see if they have clubs or activities to fit your interests!
- Finance: Did you find your dream school, but tuition is $50,000 per year? Without strong financial aid packages, that school may not be a realistic choice.
Start talking about what is important to your future college student and learn more about making strong college lists at the link below!