Breakfasts on the Go: Overnight Oats
We all know how hectic mornings can get. In between rushing to make it on school on time, to making sure that you get on your proper train/bus, the option for eating breakfast many times will fly out the door. But it’s important to understand how important breakfast is. It will help give you energy to fuel you throughout your morning until your lunch. If you miss breakfast, you may feel low on energy as your body needs food in order to function, fuel, and pay attention properly!
It can be a good idea to plan ahead for breakfast, perhaps the night before. Making overnight oatmeal serves as a way to grab a meal out the door, as you can pack it into a mason jar to take to school with you, and also get many nutritional benefits that arise from oats. They are packed with protein, fiber, and essential vitamins. It is also incredibly easy to make and does not require a stove, microwave, or oven. You can make many different types of overnight oats from blueberry, strawberry, pumpkin, almond, apple cinnamon, and more!
Overnight Oatmeal Recipe:
- Start by mixing rolled or old fashioned oats (about 1 cup) with your favorite milk (dairy, almond, coconut, soy) (1 cup) or Greek yogurt (½ cup) in a mason jar or packable sealed jar.
- You can add chia seeds (1 tablespoon) which absorb liquids and become extremely yummy to eat. Chia seeds are extremely nutritious.
- After the base, you are free to fruit and any natural (1 teaspoon vanilla extract) or artificial sweeteners (½ tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon maple syrup) as you please. You can also add nut butters such as almond butter or peanut butter.
- Make sure you add fruit that is able to keep for a few hours, so this means no bananas. You can add fruits such as strawberries, apples, or blueberries.
- The overnight oats can be eaten after 4 hours, or more preferably, after you had a healthy 6-8 hours of sleep and are ready to head out the door! Enjoy!
For more information and different varieties of overnight oats you can make, check out this recipe!