October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month
October is Domestic Violence awareness Month. Domestic violence includes physical or emotional abuse from a partner, and it can affect anyone of any age.
According to loveisrespect.org, dating violence is too common among young people. 1 out of every 10 high school students has been purposely hit by a boyfriend or girlfriend.
The Domestic Violence Awareness Project has started the #1Thing campaign, based on the idea that if we all do one thing to stop domestic violence, we can achieve social transformation. Here are the Key Messages from the #1Thing Campaign:
- The #1Thing that will end domestic violence is our collective power.
- Healing from domestic violence requires our collective One Things.
- We can all do #1Thing towards eradicating domestic violence.
- Sharing our stories can have a ripple effect and can inspire others to action.
- Our collective One Things are valuable for systems advocacy.
- #1Thing offers the community tangible ways to get involved in the effort to end domestic violence.
What #1Thing will you do to end domestic violence in the world?